Social media is a critical component of marketing today, but it can also be very time-consuming Most of the time when you get on it, you can’t get off! You can get sucked right in. But social media is a fantastic way to build relationships, increase visibility for your business and keep a pulse on what is going on in your industry. The challenge is, when you have so much going on and have limited time, how can you spend just a few minutes and still get some great benefits?
Don’t neglect your social media network because you think you don’t have enough time. Even if you only have 5 minutes, there are still several things that you can to that will help you to stay up-to-date and be an active participant on social media. Here are several suggestions for you to consider. Select only one item at a time and focus your 5 minutes on that one activity per day. But if you find you have more time, then go ahead and pick another one.
- Review your social media profiles. Make sure you have a picture and update your bio to include your most recent activities. It is important to stay current.
- Provide a referral for someone in your network on LinkedIn. Everyone appreciates a new pre-qualified lead and this will help someone else out while keeping you top of mind.
- Read through your wall on Facebook and comment on some of the posts or simply “like” posts you find interesting. People like knowing that others find value in what they are posting.
- Post an interesting article you read on a LinkedIn Group that would appeal to others.
- Check out a competitor’s profile and recent posts. It is always wise to keep an eye on your competitors to see what they are up to.
- Start a discussion in a LinkedIn group. The value of being a member of a group is interacting with others and sharing ideas.
- Share an interesting article on Twitter.
- Re-tweet a few posts that you find particularly thought-provoking.
- Ask for a recommendation on LinkedIn. When people look at your profile it is important that they see testimonials about the work you do. This will add credibility to your profile.
- Endorse another business. Tweet about great work someone has done for you, promote something about another business that you have experience with on your LinkedIn status or post a story about a personal experience you had on your Facebook wall.
- Go to one or two of your group pages on LinkedIn and read some of the discussions. Make comments, share, or “like” where it makes sense.
- Be a resource and answer questions. Share your expertise!
- Create and post a poll or survey to engage with your target market. It’s a great way to see what others think about a topic.
- Reach out to two or three people and send a personal note. It is always nice to spend a few minutes catching up with someone in your network.
Don’t let the clock get in the way of your social media efforts. Time’s a wasting, so get started now!